Friday, August 29, 2008

WWOOFing

I just got back from an amazing week WWOOFing. For those of you who might not know what WWOOF (willing workers on organic farms) is, it basically provides an awesome opportunity to experience working on an organic farm for a bit each day in exchange for room and board. There are farms all over the world. It's pretty neat. So, for the past week I have been staying with one of the nicest families I've ever met in Lyttelton, a small port town near Christchurch. It wasn't really a farm, more of a city garden. I had a super cozy railway carriage all to myself which was amazing, it even had a clawfoot bathtub in it, which I enjoyed thoroughly after several months of low water pressure showers! And the food was delicious! I ate fresh bread, organic produce, fresh fish, venison from the farmer's market, amazing cheeses, it was all so delicious! The couple (a journalist and doctor) are both origionally from Germany and have traveled all over the world; both have been WWOOFers before too. They have two kids, Quinn (6) and Jasper(11) and a wonderful dog named Ruby. I spent my mornings weeding and scraping paint off of windows, and had the afternoons off to explore. In the afternoons I explored the little town, went on a cruise around the harbor, hiked along the rim of the crater that surrounds the town, went into christchurch, listened to live music at the famous Wonderbar, etc. There is so much to write about I don't even know where to begin. I'm pretty tired now from a six hour bus ride and a mad scramble to find something edible for dinner which culminated in my decision to walk over a mile to Velvet Burger (delicious face sized hamburgers, yum!). I'll try to write more later, perhaps with some photos.

1 comment:

hflani@aol.com said...

WOW awesome! That sounds soo cool. We should do it together in america next summer. I miss you!

Hailey