So, not much exciting has happened since my last post. Classes are officially more than half way over and next week is our spring break! So, with that comes the usual flood of papers to write and tests to study for. I have two tests on Thursday and wrote a few papers during the past weeks. Other than school I've been watching movies with my flatmates, baking, exploring Dunedin, and rereading The Golden Compass (which they call Northern Lights here). I finally tried out pumpkin bread with real roasted pumpkin since you can't get the canned stuff here. The flavor wasn't as strong, but it turned out pretty well.
Today I decided to take a walk to Baldwin Street, the steepest street in the world, a quick fifteen minute walk from my flat. I definitely underestimated it's steepness. Looking up at it it looks steep, but not too bad, but start walking it and you'll be amazed cars make it up the thing. The sidewalks are steps it's so steep. But they're tiny three inch tall things which make coming down a bit awkward. The view from the top was gorgeous, you could see all the hilly farmland on the outskirts of the city, and it was sunny!
I should probably go study now, but I'll probably end up reading for fun instead. I got a library card for the public library to feed my book addiction. I even found a book on the history of New Zealand Knitting, how perfect! I'm deciding whether I should convince myself to knit a sweater here or not...still haven't made up my mind, so I'm procrastinating looking at knitting patterns, books, knitted things, yarn, etc.
Friday I'm off on an early morning bus to Christchurch, 4 or 5 hours north of Dunedin. I'm spending a week WWOOFing (Willing Workers on Organic Farms) with a family in Lyttelton, a coastal town near the city. I'll be staying in a refurbished railcar on their property and helping with gardening and whatever other projects they need done for four hours per day in exchange for room and board. I'm excited to travel and meet new people, and to get away from a city filled with students! Should be fun! Not sure if I'll have internet there, so I might not respond as quickly to any emails, but I'll be back at the very start of September to update, hopefully with more photos!
love,
Sarah
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
WOW that sounds so great! I miss you sarah and Im glad you are making good use of the chocolate chips. I could use some about now. Don't you just love the golden compass? You must read the whole series and then tell me if you are in love with Will. I am. ahahah anyways I hope woofing rocks and I hope to talk to you soon!
Hailey
Hey, I hope you have a fabulous time. You are so brave to just strike out on your own! Good for you. I got Outlander from the library finally, speaking of good books, but haven't had time to read it, so I won't be able to read it before I get back to school. Bummer. Oh well. But it will be read by me, eventually.
Post a Comment